- 1. Improved resale value. As mentioned above, a new roof increases home value by almost $12,000, according to the latest cost vs. value survey.
- 2. Excellent appearance upgrade. New architectural-grade asphalt shingles provide texture and color options that are truly amazing. Who would have thought you could duplicate the appearance of a rustic slate roof using asphalt shingles? It’s possible with the selection of high-grade asphalt shingles available today.
- 3. Longer warranties. Standard warranties for asphalt shingles used to be 15-20 years. Premium-quality asphalt shingles today offer warranties as long as 50 years.
- 4. Cool roof technology. Believe it or not, some types of asphalt roof shingles have an ENERGY STAR® rating because they are designed to reflect solar heat, thereby reducing cooling costs.
- 5. Avoiding building inspection issues. When a house goes on the market, the roof is one of the most visible features –not just to prospective home buyers but also to building appraisers and inspectors. A roof in poor condition can stop a home sale dead in its tracks. That’s why it’s smart to replace an old roof with a new one.
A new roof is a big investment and you should take the time to find a trustworthy contractor to complete the job. I advise never sacrificing quality for price. The extra money you spend on a proven expert is usually well spent.